The Appreciating Living 3-Step Process
By Jackie Kelm
The 3-Step AIA Process is a simple way to apply the principles of Appreciative Inquiry (AI) to interpersonal situations, or to create small-scale change. To learn more please visit:
- Appreciating What Is
- Ask: What can I appreciate, learn, or enjoy about this person or situation?
- Outcome: Feeling good, or at least a little better about what is happening.
- Why? Research shows that your thinking improves when you feel good. You come up with better ideas, make better decisions, and are more creative.
- Imagining the Ideal
- Ask: What do I really want, and what does this ideal look like and feel like?
- Outcome: Gaining clarity about what you want.
- Why? We are often not clear about what we really want. Creating a picture in your mind about what you want helps you move towards it.
- Acting Towards the Ideal
- Ask: What is one thing I can do, no matter how small, to move towards the ideal I want?
- Outcome: Getting results.
- Why? Taking a small step to move forward creates momentum for change.
To download a copy of this one-page summary, Click here to download the PDF file.